Director of Social Media Listening Lab and Engagement
The University of Florida College of Journalism and Communications is seeking a Director of Social Media Listening Lab and Engagement to join its leadership team.
The director position is a key member of the senior management team and is responsible for leading the college’s social media listening lab operations, insights/analysis, and engagement with key stakeholders. This person serves as the facilitator for research, instruction, immersion opportunities, and external partnerships around social media listening and engagement. Key duties include: coordinate research schedule/project pipelines; manage lab activities; conduct training workshops for students, faculty, and staff on social media listening/engagement research and application; oversee space scheduling, logistics, and technology associated with lab; continually audit the industry ensuring the CJC is the most up-to-date on industry standards and trends; provide thought leadership around social media listening data collection/strategy to academic and professional community; and develop and sustain external partnerships for client work and grant funding.
The director will also be responsible for implementing key metrics and reporting for social media listening lab outcomes. Upon requests, assist in campaign/competitive analysis, message/event/entity monitoring, and industry trends analysis using the lab resources. Collaborate closely with the Dean, the Consortium on Trust in Media and Technology Director, The Agency Director, Innovation News Center Director, Associate Dean for Research, Division of Media Properties Executive Director, other members of senior leadership, faculty, staff, and students to support and publicize a wide range of research, events, performances, exhibitions, and initiatives.
Essential Functions of the Position
- Social Media Listening Lab Strategic Planning and Implementation - Implement emerging communication technologies and trends, provide comprehensive metrics and analysis, and ensure that the Lab maximizes its use of available channels.
- Thought Leadership, Communication, and Engagement - Facilitate and provide thought leadership around social media listening research and education. Works with the Dean, Associate Dean for Research, communication staff, and key stakeholders on conceptualizing, listening, writing, and disseminating messaging on research that highlight the Lab’s unique history and advances future initiatives; continuously learn about the newest research in areas of artificial intelligence and other emerging technology to best position the Lab’s contributions in context of changing industry needs and larger societal issues.
- Learning Stewardship - Provide training to key stakeholder groups including students, faculty, and staff.
- External Partnerships – Cultivate, develop, and sustain external partnerships to provide revenue for the lab and learning opportunities for students.
About the College of Journalism and Communications
Accredited by ACEJMC, the college has earned its reputation for excellence over the last half century on the strength of its programs, faculty, students and alumni, the stories they tell, and the difference they make around the world. Our 70 full-time faculty members and 175 part-time instructors serve in four academic departments: Advertising, Journalism, Public Relations, and Media Production, Management and Technology. We enroll about 2,500 undergraduates both in-person and on-line. More than 800 graduate students are earning master’s and doctoral degrees. Visit the College of Journalism and Communications website for more information: https://www.jou.ufl.edu/
The College of Journalism and Communications is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment, preeminent scholarship, cross-disciplinary education, superior skills development, and collaboration spanning the science and practice of communication to produce significant societal impact on a local, state, and global scale.
About the University of Florida (UF)
The University of Florida is the state’s sole member of the Association of American Universities. It is in the midst of a multi-year pre-eminence initiative that has created more than 500 new faculty positions and generated a $70 million partnership with NVIDIA to create the nation’s top research lab in artificial intelligence. In 2020, UF faculty generated more than $1 billion in research grants.
The University of Florida offers a competitive salary commensurate with similar positions and includes a full benefits package. To view the university’s Total Reward benefit package, please click here: https://benefits.hr.ufl.edu/.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
The College of Journalism and Communication is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment, preeminent scholarship, cross-disciplinary education, superior skills development, and collaboration spanning the science and practice of communication to produce significant societal impact on a local, state, and global scale. To learn more about CJC IDE efforts, please click on this link: https://www.jou.ufl.edu/diversity .
The University of Florida seeks applications and nominations from a broad spectrum of individuals including women, members of diverse ethnic groups, and persons with disabilities. The University of Florida is an equal opportunity institution dedicated to building a broadly diverse and inclusive faculty, staff, and student community
About Gainesville, Florida
As home to Florida's largest and oldest university, Gainesville (http://cityofgainesville.org) is one of the state's centers of education, medicine, cultural events and athletics. Gainesville and the surrounding area is home to about 250,000 people, a robust arts community, several museums, a world-class health care system anchored at UF, a downtown core known for its restaurants and brew pubs, excellent public and private schools, and abundant nature exemplified by clear, natural springs. Additionally, within 2 hours are attractions such as Disney World, University Studios, Busch Gardens, and historic St. Augustine. Explore Gainesville in 60 Seconds.
Commensurate with experience.
Bachelor’s degree in an appropriate area and seven years of relevant experience.
- Deep knowledge of established social media, social listening, and emerging platforms, including significant professional experience with social management and/or listening tools (e.g., Sprinklr, Netbase, Sprout, Khoros, etc.).
- Professional experience in social media analytics and strategy.
- Demonstrated professional leadership/management qualities.
- Professional experience in developing strategies for effectively messaging organizational priorities and accomplishments to potential donors, societal influencers, and top tier media outlets.
- Demonstrated effective communications, online marketing, media channel management, social media solutions, and inclusive leadership.
- Demonstrated collaboration, project administration, and engagement utilizing social media research/analytics.
- Affinity for teaching and mentorship
- Ability to be a central driving figure for innovation in the College and media properties.
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS TO APPLICANTS:
To be considered for this position please include:
- A statement on commitment to diversity and inclusion in newsroom leadership
- A letter of interest outlining professional and leadership experience
- Complete curriculum vitae or resume
- Names, addresses, e-mail addresses and telephone numbers of three references
For additional questions or more information, please contact search committee chair Sylvia Chan-Olmsted, email@example.com.
Application must be submitted by 11:55 p.m. (ET) of the posting end date.
The University of Florida is committed to non-discrimination with respect to race, creed, color, religion, age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, marital status, national origin, political opinions or affiliations, genetic information and veteran status in all aspects of employment including recruitment, hiring, promotions, transfers, discipline, terminations, wage and salary administration, benefits, and training.