University Enterprises Inc. (UEI) is seeking a Research Associate for The Education Insights Center (EdInsights). EdInsights is a self-supporting unit of Sac State. Established in 2001 as the Institute for Higher Education Leadership & Policy and renamed in 2015, EdInsights works to inform and improve policymaking and practice for K-12 education, community colleges, and public universities through three strands: policy research, program evaluation, and capacity building. EdInsights’ location in the state capital provides ready access to policy makers and educators and a unique opportunity to participate in and influence public discourse on education policy and practice. EdInsights receives financial support from philanthropic foundations, the federal
government (through competitive grants/contracts processes), the State of California, postsecondary system offices and institutions, and non-profit organizations. EdInsights’ work has been used in legislative processes and cited widely in policy-oriented publications and the media. The three strands of work EdInsights’ recent policy research projects include studies of: the implementation of the Common Core State Standards; policies and practices that enable student transfer between California’s community colleges and California State Universities; state higher education policy development; and cross-system educational partnerships. EdInsights’ program evaluations assess policies and practices that support cycles of continuous improvement and help people understand the effects of public and philanthropic investments on institutional change. Its capacity-building work helps systems, regions, partnerships, and institutions work together effectively, assess the results of their work, and support students as they cross systems.
UEI offers an excellent benefits package which includes:
• UEI contribution to a TIAA retirement plan after one year of service
• Paid Vacation Time – starting at 10 hours accrued/month
• Paid Sick Time – 8 hours accrued/month
• Paid Holidays – 13 paid holidays per year including paid time off the week between Christmas Day and New Year’s Day as the CSUS campus is closed plus 1 personal day.
• Excellent medical benefits – 100% employer paid medical & dental for employee-only coverage and low cost for family coverage
Apply online by 9/17/2021.
Pay Rate: $5,100- $7,651 per month
This position is responsible for conducting EdInsights’ evaluation-related work, with projects ranging from large-scale community college pathways development to campus-based student success programs. This will involve qualitative and quantitative data and will require fieldwork, interviews, policy analysis, case studies, statistical analysis of large and small data sets, and other analytical approaches. Depending on the specific study, activities may involve conducting descriptive and statistical analyses of data, performing literature searches, conducting interviews, preparing and analyzing surveys, preparing written reports, and presenting research results. The incumbent will also represent EdInsights at statewide and national meetings of researchers, policymakers, philanthropic leaders, and other similar stakeholder groups.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Assists the principal investigator in all aspects of evaluation-related activities.
- Provides work direction to graduate and undergraduate student assistants.
- Attends trainings and workshops related to evaluation projects.
- Assists in the development and administration of data collection tools such as surveys and interview protocols, analysis of data including coding qualitative data and statistical analysis of quantitative data and writing of evaluation summaries and reports.
- Schedules and conducts interviews and focus groups.
- Assists in management of the project, such as coordinating and scheduling of evaluation activities.
- Represents EdInsights at statewide and national meetings of researchers, policymakers, philanthropic leaders, and other similar stakeholder groups.
- Works collaboratively with researchers and staff on all assignments.
- Master’s degree in public policy/administration, economics, political science, sociology, education, or other field requiring statistical analysis and social science research, or equivalent combination of education and/or work experience.
- Demonstrated experience with qualitative data collection and analysis methods, such as designing and administering surveys, conducting interviews and focus groups, and coding qualitative data.
- Experience analyzing quantitative data, such as quantitative survey data.
- Demonstrated experience with word processing, spreadsheets, internet, and statistical software packages such as SPSS or SAS.
- Strong technical and public (such as for policymakers) writing skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Must pass a background check, which may include fingerprinting. Must continue to meet the established standards.
- Knowledge of the California Community College system.
- Experience conducting program evaluation, such as such as identifying program objectives, analyzing processes to meet objectives, and determining/measuring if the program has met the objective.
- Experience designing and creating data visualizations.
- Experience working in a highly collaborative environment.