Research Analyst lll (Senior Research Analyst)University Enterprises, Inc.
Salary range: $4,587 - $6,881
Regular (full-time) Employee – 40 hours per week (Benefited)
Open until filled with a priority review date of October 5, 2018.
The Senior Research Analyst is responsible for managing complex and/or multi-year research projects and providing methodological expertise in research design and implementation. Tasks associated with this responsibility include: conceptualizing the research problem; making recommendations regarding the most appropriate research and sampling designs; supervising data collection and data entry; outlining and executing the analysis; selecting and applying appropriate statistical tests; and writing research reports. The position will also be responsible for the allocation of fiscal resources for one or more projects and for ensuring projects meet budgetary and timeline requirements. Additionally, the analyst will also be responsible for communicating findings from studies into reports and materials that are accessible to non-technical/academic audiences. The position will have ongoing contact with clients regarding research design and deliverables. The position will assign project tasks to a research team, monitoring progress and coordinating professional development activities. The position will work with CALSPEAKS Executive Director to develop new research and contract opportunities.
1. Master’s Degree in Political Science, Sociology, Public Policy, or related social science discipline or the equivalent in research experience.
2. Demonstrated supervisory experience.
3. Demonstrated experience in questionnaire and survey construction and demonstrated experience in sampling and research design.
4. Demonstrated experience in writing research proposals and reports for both technical and non-academic audiences.
5. Demonstrated experience with computer software programs for statistical analysis, database management, and survey administration such as SPSS, Stata, R, Qualtrics.
6. Demonstrated experience in managing multiple projects simultaneously or large-scale, multilayered projects.
7. Excellent written and oral communication skills in English.
8. Demonstrated professional experience in statistical and data analysis techniques, including weighting and sampling, as they are applied in social science research.
1. Ph.D. in an appropriate social science discipline.
2. Significant applied research project management experience including responsibility for making independent judgments on research design, analytic approaches, and presentation of results, including the oversight of the work of other researchers.
3. Demonstrated experience in developing statistical weighting for survey and research projects.
4. Familiarity with program evaluation theory and methodology
5. Experience in designing research studies with difficult-to-research populations
6. Demonstrated experience in data visualization and/or mapping
7. Experience working in a professional consulting capacity and demonstrated success in working effectively and collaboratively with clients.
The Institute for Social Research (the Institute) is a California State University, Sacramento research center located at the new Sacramento State Downtown location. We conduct applied research studies about programs, policies, and communities. The Institute offers a broad range of analytical services including conducting survey research, performing program/policy evaluations, and conducting applied social science research. Our clients are state and local agencies, nonprofit organizations, and the academic community. The Institute is a self-supporting center, operating with full-time professional staff, graduate research assistants, and faculty associates.
Our main survey initiative, California Speaks Opinion Research (CALSPEAKS), is a unique and ongoing investigation of public opinion in California emphasizing the social, economic, political, and environmental issues that distinguish our state. The Institute is expanding our survey capacity and has several custom survey panels focused on regions or specific populations. (https://www.csus.edu/isr/calspeaks).
If you do not include both a cover letter and resume with your application, your application materials will not be considered. Please include your employment history in the "Employment Experience" section of your application in addition to submitting your resume and cover letter. Please complete each section--do not refer to your resume in lieu of listing your job duties or in answering the supplemental application questions.