Postdoctoral Research ScholarUniversity Enterprises, Inc.
Postdoctoral Research Scholar
$3,930- $5,896 per month + excellent benefits
University Enterprises, Inc. at Sac State is seeking a Postdoctoral Research Scholar for the Dept. of Biological Sciences.
View job details & apply online at www.ueijobs.com
|Job Title||Postdoctoral Research Scholar|
|Worksite City||Sacramento, California|
|Advertised Salary Range||$3,930 - $5,896 per month|
|Length of Appointment||Temporary, up to December 31, 2017 (may be extended)|
|Hours per week||Regular (full-time) Employee – 40 hours per week (Benefited)|
|Broad Scope and Function||
This position performs research at an advanced level in support of furthering laboratory and translational knowledge and works closely with faculty. The specific scope of the project pertains to elucidating mechanisms by which skin-associated microbes contribute to inflammatory disorders by modulating their microenvironment.
The position reports directly to a faculty member who serves as the advisor who will provide general supervision. The position provides research and work direction to students and research technicians.
|Conditions of Employment||
This is a full-time, temporary up to December 31, 2017 (may be extended) exempt from overtime, benefited position with a defined contribution retirement plan through TIAA. (The position is not covered under the California Public Employees’ Retirement System). Continued employment in this position is dependent upon funding and the mutual consent of University Enterprises and the employee, and either University Enterprises or the employee, can, at any time, terminate the employment relationship at will, with or without cause. Program continuation is contingent upon funding.
1. Ph.D. in microbiology or related field focused on microbiome analysis.
2. Demonstrated experience with biological laboratory research.
3. Demonstrated ability to review and edit technical project reports and documents.
4. Demonstrated professional attitude and ability to interact cooperatively with students, staff, and research technicians.
5. Demonstrated ability to present information and results in conferences and meetings.
6. Excellent command of the English language including grammar, spelling, and punctuation.
7. Demonstrated effective typing, word processing, and telephone skills.
8. Demonstrated knowledge of basic budget maintenance procedures and practices in accordance with research budgets.
9. Must pass a background check, which may include fingerprinting. Must continue to meet the established standards.
1. Experience analyzing large data sets using freely available informational software tools.
2. Experience performing lipidome analysis and analyzing corresponding data sets.
Sit for extended periods; frequently stand and walk; manual dexterity and eye-hand coordination; corrected hearing and vision to normal range; verbal and written communication; use of office equipment including computers; telephones; calculators; copy machines; fax machines, scanners, and printers.
Work is performed in a laboratory environment; continuous contact with staff, students, campus community.
The Department of Biological Sciences at Sacramento State prepares students for graduate school, teaching, and technical careers. Housed in Sequoia and Humboldt Halls, adjacent to the American River, our students work with faculty members in and out of the classroom. We currently have 25 full time faculty, serving approximately 1,000 undergraduate and graduate students. Many of our students are preparing for careers in health professions. A degree in Biological Sciences includes most of the science courses required for entry into health professional programs.
01. Designs research activities and performs research based experimentation at the cellular and biological level including, but not limited to: (a) DNA and RNA extraction; (b) library preparation and data evaluations for DNA and RNA sequencing reactions; © anaerobic microbial culture; (d) advanced microscopy, including confocal laser scanning and; (e) designing of probes to identify specific microbes in mixed species populations.
02. Ensures laboratory notebooks are up-to-date.
03. Works with students and research technicians to organize research activities. Provides work direction as needed.
04. Monitors and maintains accurate inventories of research supplies.
05. Organizes and analyzes data in preparation for presentation at local meetings and conferences.
06. Prepares manuscripts based on research findings.
Posting Detail Information
|Number of Vacancies|
|Position End Date (if temporary)|
|Open Until Filled||No|
|Special Instructions Summary||
If you do not include both a cover letter and resume with your application, your application materials will not be considered. Please include your employment history in the “Employment Experience” section of your application in addition to submitting your resume and cover letter.