About University at Albany:
Established in 1844 and designated a University Center of the State University of New York in 1962, the University at Albany's broad mission of excellence in undergraduate and graduate education, research and public service engages a diverse student body of more than 17,900 students in nine schools and colleges across three campuses.
Located in Albany, New York, New York State's capital, the University is convenient to Boston, New York City and the Adirondacks.
Information Technology Services (ITS) at the University at Albany seeks applicants for an Applications Specialist. She/He/They are responsible for ensuring the reliability, availability, and maintainability of applications that are critical to the campus community within the Administrative and Business Services portfolio. She/He/They will engage stakeholders both internal and external to ITS to define application requirements, success criteria, and desired outcomes. The Applications Specialist will also play an important role as the University embarks on the identification and implementation of an exciting new ERP strategy.
Reporting to the Administrative and Business Services Manager, the successful candidate serves as a subject matter expert to evaluate and implement new applications and improve existing ones serving clients and business. This position objectively analyzes application performance and implements necessary changes. Success in this position will directly impact outcomes of the student experience, retention, and success.
The successful candidate has excellent organizational and communication skills, and the ability to cultivate relationships with a wide range of constituents ranging from campus leadership to front-line staff. The Applications Specialist is expected to work under limited supervision as well as within a team environment.
- Analyze, implement, and support business applications:
- Analyze existing software applications to improve functionality
- Remodel and adapt applications as needed to optimize performance
- Test applications extensively to ensure they are error and bug-free
- Determine project scope, constraints including estimated time and costs
- Collaborate with architects and programming staff on integration needs
- Interpersonal skills and understanding constituent's needs:
- Configure applications that accomplish client objectives and business needs
- Identify specific customer and client needs and preferences related to applications
- Connect with customers to analyze user experience and gain constructive feedback
- Act as a technical advisor for enterprise and proprietary departments applications
- Maintain positive client relationships
- Perform operational responsibilities, including:
- Provide day-to-day applications operational support including performing quality assurance activities and completing all necessary documentation
- Monitor enterprise applications to maintain service availability
- Maintain the Administrative and Business Services portion of the applications portfolio and their corresponding upgrade strategies
- Additional/Other Responsibilities:
- Be available to provide scheduled support and consultation outside normal business hours, including occasional evenings, holidays, or weekends, within reasonable professional obligation and expectation
- Actively participate, as needed, in ITS projects
- A Bachelor's degree from a college or university accredited by a U.S. Department of Education (DOE) or internationally recognized accrediting organization
- At least 2 years of experience in a similar role
- Demonstrated experience evaluating, implementing, and supporting enterprise/business applications
- Strong customer service skills
- Ability to handle client and customer issues tactfully and professionally
- Highly organized and detail-oriented
- Adept and effective communicator
- Applicants must address their ability to work with a culturally diverse population in their application or during the interview
- Demonstrated ability to analyze, clarify, and validate user's needs/business requirements and translate them into technical design requirements, workflows, business rules, and specifications
- Ability to manage several projects concurrently, without losing focus on any particular project
- Demonstrated experience in higher education with academic administrative applications
- Fluency in more than one programming language
- Proven ability to analyze and troubleshoot complex, cross-team applications and integrations
- Experience working in UNIX/Linux environment
Professional Rank and Salary Range: Lead Programmer/Analyst, SL3
Special Notes: Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, or Clery Act, mandates that all Title IV institutions, without exception, prepare, publish and distribute an Annual Security Report. This report consists of two basic parts: disclosure of the University's crime statistics for the past three years; and disclosures regarding the University's current campus security policies. The University at Albany's Annual Security Report is available in portable document format [PDF] by clicking this link http://police.albany.edu/ASR.shtml
Pursuant to NYS Labor Law 194-A, no State entity, as defined by the Law, is permitted to rely on, orally or in writing seek, request, or require in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current wage, or salary history as a condition to be interviewed, or as a condition of continuing to be considered for an offer of employment until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation, and for the purpose of verifying information, may such requests be made. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor's Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at email@example.com.
THE UNIVERSITY AT ALBANY IS AN EO/AA/IRCA/ADA EMPLOYER
Please apply online via https://albany.interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.jsp?JOBID=147239
Applicants MUST submit the following documents:
- Cover letter stating all the required minimum qualifications and any of the applicable preferred qualifications
- Contact information for three professional references
Note: After submitting your resume, the subsequent pages give you instructions for uploading additional documents (i.e. cover letter etc.).
Closing date for receipt of applications: until filled