Video ProducerThe Sacramento Bee
We’re looking for an experienced digital video producer to join us in building a major component of The Sacramento Bee’s future. This is an editorial position focused on creating and delivering videos across multiple platforms.
This individual will be required to aggressively search, aggregate and seek permission for digital video content from third-party sources around the web - in accordance with the news of the day. The goal is to supplement our original video offerings through daily aggregation. Video producers play an important role, working closely with newsroom and regional colleagues to ensure that each story is well-represented with video. A strong sense of news judgment and the ability to quickly produce high-quality video is required. We will measure the success of this role through growth in video views.
- Aggressively curate and produce third-party video for placement within our stories and on social media.
- Edit, produce and place video in related stories and social platforms.
- Leverage digital tools and social media to find newsworthy video to aggregate.
- Closely work with central video team in Washington, D.C. on daily audience possibilities for video.
- Provide guidance on aggregation best-practices to share with newsroom colleagues.
- Pay close attention daily to real-time analytics to determine video possibilities.
- Working with software to convert multiple file formats, codecs and sharing sites (ftp, dropbox, etc.)
- Generate ideas for videos that appeal across platforms for multiple audiences.
- Pitch your video stories to relevant third-parties for embed, social, promotional consideration.
Skills Needed: Excellent interpersonal, problem solving, and team player skills required. Leadership, strategic thinking experience and the ability to work across a broad-section of colleagues essential. Visual sensibility and experience contributing to interactive and multimedia work, with creative concepts and implementation. Reliable news judgment, advanced communication skills needed. A deeply-connected professional network is important. A vision of future audience trends and digital media important.
Personal Attributes: Energy, flexibility, and online smarts. The ability to monitor a vast amount of information for a wide audience, matched with discerning judgment. Skill to work well with a variety of editors and staff at all levels within a networked video-focused team. Aptitude for thinking big, working wisely and quickly iterating.
Education: College degree required.
Special Training: Ability to edit video. Extensive background in journalism, video and online media preferred.
Experience: Minimum of two years digital journalism experience. Familiarity with platforms such as Storyful, Chartbeat and CrowdTangle a plus.
This position will be based in our Sacramento offices and will report to the West Video Editor, who is also based in Sacramento. Some travel may be required.