Operations Manager CA (Newspaper)The Sacramento Bee
This position is a leadership role for Sacramento, Modesto and Merced. The Operations Manager is responsible for the logistics and distribution of all print products in these markets.
The Operations Manager will be responsible for various deliverable including service, operational efficiency, financial and audience goals and executing plans accordingly.
The position has responsibility for distribution of the newspaper’s entire product portfolio. This includes but is not limited to each newspaper’s home delivery, On Demand, NIE, and 3rd party print circulation, the TMC and targeted non-paid print products,
The Operations Manager will also be responsible for identifying, developing and delivering on various financial and audience goals including but not limited to audience growth, retention, expense, revenue and operating cash flow; anticipating declines and/or shortfalls in delivering on goals; and developing and executing plans to address declines and/or shortfalls for the assigned newspaper.
- Responsible for knowing, communicating and delivering on the core strategies, audience targets, audience revenue targets and audience division cash flow targets. Identifies alternatives for delivering on strategies and targets when shortfalls are anticipated.
- Responsible for the implementation of an effective distribution process that ensures world-class delivery to all homes and businesses within the newspaper’s designated market
- Manages contract performance and negotiates contracts and rates. Maintains billing accuracy around rates.
- Defines, develops, and interprets goals and objectives, policies and procedures for the Logistics department at the assigned newspapers.
- Analyses route profitability, route design, route consolidation and logistics to ensure routes compensation is fair and that subscriber deliveries are timely.
- Establishes work schedules to accomplish delivery goals.
- Establishes or adjusts work procedures to meet schedules; determines measure to improve delivery methods.
- Interprets company policies to workers and enforces safety regulations.
- Resolves subscriber, carrier and distributor issues.
- Performs activities of supervised employees when necessary.
- Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Education and Qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree (B.A.) from four-year college or university; and 2-4 years related experience and/or training, including at least 5 years of management level experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Requires a prior work history that demonstrates strong, successful leadership ability and solid understanding of complexities of newspaper circulation, audience development, sales, distribution and marketing. Excellent written, verbal and organizational development skills.