Journalism Development DirectorThe Sacramento Bee
Job description: McClatchy seeks a development director who can build community and foundation support for its 30 local newsrooms. This new position is meant to bridge the gap between those who want to support and fund local journalism and our efforts to deliver it. The successful candidate will drive philanthropic and community support for journalism. Funders will not direct coverage.
You will be expected to make initial contacts and develop proposals for funding opportunities, in close collaboration with regional and local editors/publishers. You will be expected to write grant proposals, write grants and report back to entities that award them. Collaboration and strong communication skills are critical, as is the ability to listen effectively.
The successful candidate will have a passion for vibrant, informed communities and experience in development and prospecting. You will use data to support effective asks and master follow through as we build and strengthen relationships. You will be expected to successfully manage a P&L that remains revenue neutral and that consistently adds reporting resources to our newsrooms.
This position reports to West Regional Editor, while working closely with leaders in McClatchy newsrooms to identify coverage opportunities and responsibly match them with funding sources or campaigns. There will be oversight responsibility for existing grants. This person will work in Northern California and is expected to be in Sacramento, where the West Region Editor is based, consistently.
What You Can Expect:
- Mentoring and coaching from our leadership team
- Detailed new hire training and ongoing learning opportunities
- Clear expectations and goals
- A great passion on behalf of your teammates and colleagues for building a sustainable model for our journalism
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Understand, assess, and develop plans for areas for growth within identified opportunity categories
- Create proposals after gaining a complete understanding opportunities and how they align with funders
- Communicate the ROI of the program/funding support
- Actively manage relationships by reporting program/reporting results. Identify follow-up opportunities
- Target and build relationships with potential supporters within local markets and statewide
- Work collaboratively with news and advertising, as well as other departments