Seasonal. $12.50/hour. Gold course or Parks Landscape maintenance experience desired.
DISTRICT APPLICATION REQUIRED.
Apply at online at www.southgaterecandpark.net
or at Southgate Recreation & Park District, 6000 Orange Ave. (at end of Florin Mall Dr.) or call for more information
Under general supervision, performs maintenance and related construction and repair in and around a golf course parks, recreation areas, and public facilities. Performs work involving the use of large equipment, including mowers, tractors, loaders, trenchers, backhoes, trucks and other turf maintenance equipment.
- Performs grounds maintenance operations such as inspection, mowing, trimming, edging, pickup, pruning, using power and hand tools and equipment.
- Performs daily golf course service; set cups, tee-markers, maintain ball-washers, ropes, signs, remove debris and sand tee divots and operate turf maintenance equipment.
- Rakes and sweeps leaves, trimmings and clippings. Removes weeds by hand and with power tools. Picks up trash and debris.
- Inspects for diseases, pests, or abnormalities affecting plants and turf, and is involved in planting and propagating.
- Assists spray applicator with round-up applications and fertilizer applications.
- Grades and prepares soil, lay sod and seeds tees, greens and fairways on the golf course.
- Prunes and hedges shrubs with proper pruning practices.
- Cleans and maintains restrooms, swimming pools and other facilities.
- Constructs, repairs and paints tables, benches, fences, signs and structures, and removes graffiti.
- Assists in the maintenance of building floors, walls, doors and lighting.
- Assists in the setup, productions and clean up of special events.
- Performs safety inspections and maintains reports on fields, courts and playground areas.
- Operates, inspects and maintains tractors, mowers and other specialized power equipment.
- Works and operates equipment following safety procedures and wears safety equipment.
- Transports, loads and unloads supplies, equipment and machinery.
- Assists with irrigation repairs, special construction, maintenance and repair projects.
- Hand waters dry areas as needed to supplement automatic irrigation system as needed.
- Reports equipment problems or failure to the equipment manager.
- Keeps trucks clean and checks fluids.
- Performs heavy physical labor, lift, carry, push and pull heavy objects, such as cement and fertilizer bags, (up to 50 lbs.) Walk, stand, stoop and crouch for long periods; climb ladders; dig ditches and post holes.
- Performs operation of motor vehicles and/or power equipment with intermittent vibration.
- Performs under various weather conditions.
- Complies with all OSHA and Cal-OSHA standards.
- Follows oral and written instructions.
- Prepares and maintains written records and reports.
- Works harmoniously and cooperatively with fellow employees and the public.
Greets public, answers telephones, and provides information to public or directs them to proper office.
Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge of and Skilled in: Effective oral and written communication skills. Methods and materials used in grounds and landscape area, construction and maintenance work. The proper methods of planting, cultivating, and caring for hedges, trees, shrubs, lawns and flowers; use and care of gardening materials, tools and equipment used in maintenance and repair. Safe, efficient mechanical operation of power equipment, mowers, loader tractor, slope mower and other motorized equipment. Fundamentals of basic plumbing and carpentry work; common safety practices and procedures; simple mathematics.
Ability to: Follow oral and written instructions; read, write and speak English at a level to satisfactorily perform the work; work harmoniously and cooperatively with fellow employees and the public; maintain neat and appropriate appearance; effectively communicate orally and in writing; analyze situations and adopt effective course of action. Use and care for hand and power tools; follow safety procedures and identify potential safety hazards. Perform grounds maintenance and repair work; operate and maintain power equipment and vehicles such as tractors and attachments.
Physical Requirements: Must be able to perform heavy physical labor, lift, carry, push and pull heavy objects, such as cement and fertilizer bags, (up to 50 lbs.) Must be able to walk, stand, stoop and crouch for long periods; climb ladders; dig ditches and post holes. Operation of motor vehicles and/or power equipment with intermittent vibration. Must be able to perform under various weather conditions.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Must be at least 18 years old. Equivalent to graduation from high school. Prior experience performing general grounds maintenance. Repair work that can be directly related to the requirements listed above for knowledge and abilities, helpful but not required.
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES
Valid California Driver’s License. Insurable under District policy.