Administrative Assistant I-IIISouthgate Recreation & Park District
Position is open until filled. A District application required.
Please apply at www.southgaterecandpark.net
Application screening begins May 14, 2018.
Under direction of the Business Supervisor and/or Personnel Specialist, is responsible for bookkeeping, payroll, purchasing, accounts receivable and accounts payable; responsible for the preparation of files and the accounting of receipts and disbursements; assist with the processing of payroll and filing of confidential information and ensures confidentiality is maintained over all such records. Administrative Assistant II & III are distinguished from Administrative Assistant I by a greater degree of responsibility and experience.
- Greets the public both on the phone and in person, directs them to the proper office if necessary and gives information to the public regarding all programs, services and fees involved.
- Processes bi-weekly payroll and reconciles payroll reports
- Assists with recruiting, employee orientations, employee benefit programs, workers’ compensation, and employee incentive programs
- Prepares and maintains confidential reports, background checks and other information
- Enters accounts payable into accounting software, proofs data entry and checks for accounts payable
- Prepares and process purchase orders and assists staff with purchasing
- Maintains accounts receivable ledgers and collects delinquent accounts. Prepares invoices for administration and posts payments to accounts receivable ledger
- Prepares letters, circulars, mailing lists and related material
- Performs routine clerical, mail handling, filing, binding and duplicating tasks
- Aids in the routine business operations of the District
- Records deposits to bank accounts and reviews documents for compliance with policies and procedures
- Monitors office supply levels and purchases office supplies
- Prepares reports, summaries and performs basic accounting work
- Maintains confidential files and information in accordance with federal and state laws and District guidelines
- Attends meetings at various locations, delivers and picks up documents from off-site locations and makes bank deposits.
- Follows oral and written instructions
- Maintains office area in a neat and orderly condition.
- Works harmoniously and cooperatively with fellow employees and the public
Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge of and Skilled in: operation of office equipment; accounting and bookkeeping procedures; performing routine clerical work requiring independent judgment, speed and accuracy; proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and Windows; ability to type by touch at least 35 wpm; spelling correctly and using proper grammar; establishing and maintaining files. Establish and maintain positive relationships with the public and other employees; represent the District in a professional manner.
Ability to: Deal courteously and tactfully with the public; analyze situations, prioritize tasks, and have flexibility, perform mathematical calculations accurately; read, write and speak the English language at a level necessary for efficient job performance
Physical Requirements: Must be able to perform physical labor, lift, carry, push and pull heavy objects, such as tables and chairs, (up to 30 lbs.) Must be able to walk, stand, stoop and crouch for long periods; climb ladders.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Graduation from high school or equivalent. Clerical experience is preferred for the Administrative Assistant I. At least three years’ experience required for Administrative Assistant II. At least five years’ experience required for Administrative Assistant III.
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES
Valid California Driver’s License is required. Insurable under District policy.
Starting salary is $2,686 (I), $3,326 (II) or $3,466 (III) per month, depending on qualifications. Benefits include personal time off, holidays, health, dental, and life insurance and retirement programs.
This job specification should not be construed to imply that these requirements are the exclusive standards of the position. The incumbent may be required to follow any other instructions, and to perform any other related duties.
Southgate Recreation and Park District is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applicants will be considered on the basis of their qualifications without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, religion, age, mental or physical disability, veteran status, medical condition, marital status, genetic information, sexual orientation or pregnancy.