SENIOR LOBBYING ADVISORSOUTHERN CALIFORNIA EDISON
Sr. Lobbying Advisor
ENERGY FOR WHAT’S AHEAD
Are you looking to make a difference in your career? We’re working on smarter grids, cleaner energy and tools to help people manage energy more efficiently.
About State Public Affairs:
State Public Affairs is in Southern California Edison’s (SCE’s) Corporate Affairs organization and serves as the primary contact with state legislators, the governor’s office and administration officials to achieve SCE’s vision of a clean energy future.
You are inspired to work in a company that is forward facing. You want to play a big part in making meaningful decisions. You thrive when using your organizational planning skills, and keen sense of vision, to be part of a world-class team whose work directly impacts our customers. At the end of the day, you desire to build real change—for the better for everyone. Does this sound like you?
The job …
The Sr. Lobbying Advisor position is part of an interdisciplinary team and plays a leadership role within SCE’s State Public Affairs group, with a focus on legislative advocacy and management of SCE’s contract lobbyists.
The role includes cross-functional responsibilities in the areas of legislation portfolio management, advocacy and education, stakeholder engagement, and constituent and external affairs. The position is focused on shaping and achieving desired legislative and policy outcomes in close coordination with the contract lobbyist team that can have significant financial or operational impact to the company, and which have direct line-of-sight to corporate goals.
The successful candidate will be a politically savvy self-starter with the following key skills/capabilities:
- Effective communicator who can credibly deliver compelling arguments that address the needs of diverse audiences;
- Trust-based relationship-builder skilled at developing collaborative partnerships with the consultant team and cultivating durable networks internally and externally;
- Strategic influencer seen as a trusted advisor and credible thought leader with policy makers, staff and contract lobbyists.
The day to day….
- Engaging in direct advocacy and education activities with legislators, their staff, the Administration and external stakeholders (e.g., business and interest groups, trade associations, and community organizations) in support of SCE’s interests and consistent with company and business unit goals and objectives;
- Ensuring that the company’s legislative agenda, messages, initiatives, interests, and goals are successfully communicated to policy makers and positive outcomes are achieved;
- Management of numerous significant, short- and long-term state legislative advocacy assignments, including developing strategies and methods to influence the direction of legislative outcomes consistent with corporate objectives and with direct accountability for results;
- Providing leadership and day to day strategic and tactical direction to the SCE contract lobbying team based in Sacramento;
- Evaluating the political landscape associated with legislative proposals and issues, and recommending and implementing strategies to effectively address issues that are consistent with corporate objectives;
- Managing companywide communication with the Sacramento Public Affairs team on key issues, outcomes and strategies related to legislation and Administration activities;
- Effectively building diverse external stakeholder coalitions, while also influencing internal conversations on policy and positioning;
- Establishing and maintaining credible, positive, professional working relationships with California state legislators and their staff (including staying familiar with members’ districts), the Administration and other key stakeholders;
- Maintaining a working understanding of Legislative Rules and Procedures as they may impact SCE lobbying efforts;
- Leveraging relationships and directing the consultant team to gather information related to, and help shape, legislative proposals and informational hearings.
Qualifications you need …
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Political Science, Public Policy, Public Administration, Communications, Business, or Economics or related discipline.
- Ten (10) or more years of experience in the legislative, public affairs, government affairs, or communications arenas in which duties include policy analysis, advocacy and/or written and verbal communication with elected officials and staff (preferably the California Legislature and Office of the Governor).
Other details that will set you up for success …
- Advanced degree – Master’s in such fields as Political Science, Public Policy, Public Administration, Communications, Business, or Economics, or Law degree;
- Demonstrated ability to lead an outside consultant team;
- Ability to develop and execute sophisticated, multi-layered legislative advocacy plans and strategies, including effective use of contract lobbyists;
- Advanced knowledge of the California legislative process, including experience working on a legislative staff and/or as a registered lobbyist in the State of California;
- Ability to work in high volume, high pressure situations, with an emphasis on policy advocacy and project management expertise;
- Experience leading and managing the development of California legislative strategies and policies, including conducting research, performing analyses, and drawing conclusions on legislative policies and proposals;
- Strong oral and written communication skills;
- Experience with broad issues management and dealing with highly sensitive, political inquires through coordination and extensive communications;
- Strong organizational skills with high level of initiative and ability to effectively interface, collaborate, and partner with stakeholders, senior management, clients and consultant team members to help drive solutions and ensure stakeholder buy-in;
- Sound leadership skills to set priorities and achieve desired actions though negotiation and influence in a team environment;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
You should know …
- Position requires state lobbyist registration.
- Must be willing to travel approximately 10% of the time.
- Writing and work samples may be requested prior to interview.
- Relocation may apply to this position.
- Candidates for this position must be legally authorized to work directly as employees for any employer in the United States without visa sponsorship.
- Policy Statement for Protected Veterans and Individuals with Disabilities.
- NERC/CIP - This position has been identified as a NERC/CIP impacted position - Prior to being hired, the successful candidate must pass a Personnel Risk Assessment (PRA) or Background Investigation. Once hired, the candidate must complete specified training prior to gaining un-escorted access to assigned work location and performing necessary job duties.
- We offer a fantastic Total Rewards Package that includes things like a wide selection of health plans, preventative health reimbursement, 401(k) savings plan with company match and automatic company contributions, tuition reimbursement, professional development, volunteer programs, employee assistance program, electric service discount, and many more perks.
The people here at Edison don't just keep the lights on. Our mission is so much bigger. We are fueling the kind of innovation that is changing an entire industry, and quite possibly the planet. You’ll have a chance to grow your career and make a difference in the world.
SCE serves a population of approximately 15 million via 5 million customer accounts in a 50,000-square-mile service area within Central, Coastal and Southern California. As a company, we have big dreams and we know nothing big is ever accomplished alone. Join one of the nation’s leading electric utilities in making sure California, and all of us who live here, shine bright.
At SCE we celebrate our differences. We are a proud Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status or any other protected status.