Juvenile Detention Officer AssistantSan Joaquin County Probation Department
San Joaquin County Probation Department, French Camp, CA.
Final filing deadline 10/20/17. Apply at sjgov.org/department/hr
Under immediate supervision maintains the safety, security and discipline in assigned unit for juveniles; supervises and guides the behavior of juveniles; enforces rules and regulations of the facility; advises juveniles in proper standards of personal conduct; observes and assesses behavior and needs of groups and individuals within groups; and does related or other work as required in accordance with Rule 3, Section 3 of the Civil Service Rules.
Incumbents serve as trainees in this class for the Juvenile Detention Officer series. As trainees, individuals are assigned to perform routine activities under close supervision, receive departmental training, and acquire the essential knowledge and abilities characteristic of the Juvenile Detention Officer I class.
- Maintains security and discipline over assigned unit or program; enforces rules and regulations of the facility and program.
- Supervises and guides juvenile behavior; advises juveniles in proper standards of personal conduct.
- May counsel or assist in counseling juveniles individually or in groups.
- Documents and relates information to appropriate persons.
- Conducts programs related to recreation and work activities; participates in behavior modification programs such as anger management, victim awareness and the like; assists in planning activities and programs.
- Prepares and maintains conduct records and reports regarding juveniles for use in placement or court proceedings, including incident reports.
- May be required to perform basic housekeeping tasks; may be required to transport juveniles.
- Conducts room checks and searches; scans incoming and outgoing mail; searches juveniles for contraband.
- Learns to subdue and restrain violent or attacking juveniles when appropriate for the safety and protection of themselves and others.
- Uses computers and juvenile detention specific programs for detention management and communications.