Computer Systems SupervisorSacramento Metropolitan Fire District
Closing date: 3/26/2019 at 4:00 p.m.
Under general direction, supervises technical activities and staff for help desk and computer operations. This includes the responsibility of managing all procedures related to the identification, prioritization, and resolution of end user requests, including the monitoring, tracking, and coordination of help desk functions. Performs basic and advanced computer related duties such as analyzes, troubleshoots, and resolves technical operational problems, installs, and maintains hardware, peripheral equipment and software; assists in the review and/or preparation of user's procedures and documentation; provides informal and formal training to users on system's implementations and operations; performs other duties as assigned by supervisor.
This job description is intended to convey information essential to understanding the scope of the position and it is not intended to be an exhaustive list of skills, efforts, duties, responsibilities or working conditions associated with the position.
Regular and reliable attendance is a requirement of the job.
- Supervises technical activities and staff for computer operations and help desk.
- Establish and enforce help desk service level agreements in consultation with end users to establish problem resolution expectations and timeframes.
- Analyze performance of help desk activities and documented resolutions, identify problem areas, and devise and deliver solutions to enhance quality of service and to prevent future problems.
- Conduct research on emerging products, services, protocols, and standards in support of help desk and computer systems technology.
- Manage the processing of incoming calls and emails to the help desk to ensure courteous, timely, and effective resolution of end user issues.
- Track and analyze trends in help desk requests and generate statistical reports.
- Performs basic and advanced installation and maintenance of computer and peripheral equipment hardware.
- Installs, implements, and maintains software in various computer systems.
- Provides technical assistance and quality control of various computer systems.
- Write scripts to install and uninstall various software applications.
- Designs and maintains websites and Intranet.
- Analyzes, troubleshoots, and resolves technical operational problems related to computer and peripheral equipment hardware.
- Analyzes, troubleshoots, and resolves application software problems; tests, debugs, and implements software applications.
- Assists with the analysis and resolution of complicated operating problems to optimize computer performance.
- Assists in the evaluation of user hardware and software needs.
- Assists in developing policies and procedures for maintenance, security, administration, and use of computer systems.
- Under direction creates, modifies, and reviews technical systems documentation.
- Assists in preparation of user procedures and documentation, and provides informal and formal training to users on system operations; assists users in developing and maintaining ad hoc reports.
- Assists in some aspects of Internet access and development projects.
- Monitors schedules and activities to provide operation services in a timely, efficient, secure, and reliable manner.
- Prepares written or oral summaries of activities.
- Drives vehicles to various shop or field locations to install, service and repair computer equipment.
- Performs other duties or tasks assigned by the Director of Information Technology, or designee, in meeting and achieving the goals, objectives and policies of the District.
- Other related duties as assigned by supervisor.
Offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of a background check and a physical to include a drug screen.
The education or experience requirements may be modified or waived at the sole discretion of the Fire Chief. At least one of the education or experience requirements must be met; both requirements cannot be modified or waived. The Sacramento Metro Fire District Board of Directors shall be notified of any such modifications or waivers.
Must be at least eighteen (18) years of age.
Education and Experience:
Education must be obtained through a post secondary institution currently accredited by any accreditation body recognized by either the Counsel for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) or the United States Department of Education.
- An Associate degree or higher in Computer Science, Information Science, Management Information Systems, or closely related field and three (3) years full time paid experience providing installation and/or maintenance services on computer products and/or systems. Supervision of staff is preferred. OR:
- Completion of a certificate program in Computer Science and three (3) years full time paid experience providing installation and/or maintenance services on computer products and/or systems. Supervision of staff is preferred. OR:
- Four (4) years full time paid experience providing installation and/or maintenance services on computer products and/or systems, supervision of staff is preferred, and completion of 30 semester units in Computer Science, Information Science, Management Information Systems, or closely related field. OR:
- Two (2) years full time paid experience in the class of Computer Systems Technician, Network Admin or Network Engineer with the Sacramento Metropolitan Fire District and an Associate degree or higher in Computer Science, Information Science, Management Information Systems, or closely related field OR:
- Two (2) years full time paid experience in the class of Computer Systems Technician, Network Admin or Network Engineer with the Sacramento Metropolitan Fire District and completion of a certificate program in Computer Science.