Opinion Writer/Assistant EditorSacramento Bee
The Sacramento Bee is seeking a columnist and editorial writer to join its Opinion team. The successful candidate will be a dynamic and creative digital-first journalist who can write, edit and help lead opinion strategy for McClatchy’s five news organizations in California.
She or he will:
- Report and write a regular column focused on local and regional issues of great importance to readers, regularly breaking news and holding officials to account.
- Assist with editing and writing Sacramento Bee editorials.
- Help ideate, curate and edit Opinion/Editorial submissions.
The successful candidate will be a crafty (and quick) wordsmith with strong opinions, a love for community-based reporting and an eye for unique angles. We’re looking for someone who seeks to both write a must-read column and contribute to the overall excellence of the organization. She or he will help readers and would-be readers understand the contribution local journalism can make to the health of a community.
As we live in an increasingly digital world, the opinion team will engage in respectful community building online with an end goal of growing support for our work, which is a critical measure of success for us. This person will grow readership of our editorials by acting on available post-publication data. Skills and experience with video and/or podcasting are a plus.
The position will report to the California Opinion Editor and be based in Sacramento.
- At least 3-5 years of reporting experience, preferably on local issues and/or government.
- Strong editing skills and excellent news judgment.
- Experience in the science of readership and engagement, and a zeal for understanding and using readership data to inform the editorial process.
- An interest in telling stories using a variety of media, and an enthusiasm for learning new skills and technologies.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including empathy (toward readers and staff) and a superior ear for tone.
- Comfort with a job that will be demanding, fast-paced, constantly evolving, and more outcome-oriented than task-oriented.