Police OfficerPort of Stockton
Salary Range: $5,163 - $6,583 per month (as of 7/1/2018)
Filing Deadline: Ongoing until Eligibility List window is closed
Please complete the application. To be considered, applicants must submit a Port of Stockton application packet. For more information and to obtain an application packet, please visit the Port of Stockton’s website: www.portofstockton.com/careers
Carefully follow the instructions on each form. Resumes may not be substituted for the information requested in the application.
SUMMARY: Under direct supervision, this position performs security and law enforcement activities to ensure safety of life and property in and around Port District grounds while ensuring compliance with all applicable Federal, State, and local laws and Port District Regulations.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
- Patrols areas in and around Port properties, on the alert for unusual, suspicious, or threatening situations.
- Responds to vessel arrivals and departures, completes the required paperwork in accordance with established policy.
- Investigates unusual or suspicious circumstances and exercises sound judgment as to necessary actions.
- Responds to calls for service and provides information, directions or other assistance, as needed.
- Enforces federal, state and local laws and ordinances; issues warnings and citations and makes arrests as appropriate; testifies in court as needed.
- Conducts preliminary and follow-up investigations relative to crimes, accidents, and injuries; submits complete, accurate, and timely reports.
- Provides crime scene control including, but not limited to, identification of witnesses, interviews and preservation of evidence.
- Coordinates vehicular traffic control as needed. Prepares and maintains various logs and records.
- Monitors local outside agency radio frequencies; keeping alert for emergencies and police- related incidents on or adjacent to Port premises.
- Operates radio/telephone and computer equipment, including CLETS terminal as needed. May render first aid and/or coordinate outside emergency response as needed.
- Ensures compliance with Homeland Security requirements.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
Education and/or Experience: High school diploma or equivalent and valid certificate of completion from the California P.O.S.T. Academy.
Knowledge: Knowledge of applicable California Penal Code; criminal and civil laws, regulations, terminology and concepts. Knowledge of modern police techniques, including, but not limited to forensic sciences, laws of arrest, and search and seizure. Knowledge of effective safety principles and practices pertaining to the work.
Skills and Abilities: Must have the ability to use sound judgment in quickly assessing a situation and acting decisively within legal and procedural guidelines. Must have the ability to write clear and concise reports, records, and other written materials. Ability to perform law enforcement activities; maintain firearms and first aid proficiency; ability to remain calm and take appropriate action in tense situations, deal courteously and tactfully with the public, while instilling confidence in police department actions. Ability to read interpret, and apply complex laws, procedures, and policies, understand and follow written and oral directives. Ability to meet physical, psychological and background standards sufficient to perform the essential functions of the Police Officer position. Ability to wear the required department equipment while performing the duties of a police officer. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with Port staff, tenants, and other law enforcement agencies. Above average computer skills using word processing, spreadsheets, and departmental database software. Must have the ability to learn new and complex computer programs.
Certificates, Licenses or Registrations: Must possess and maintain a valid California driver's license and be insurable under the Port's liability policy or provide other insurance acceptable to the Port. Must possess and maintain First Aid, CPR and Blood borne Pathogens certifications. Must possess and maintain valid certificate of completion from the California P.O.S.T. Academy. The position requires passing an extensive background check. Must pass a background investigation and be able to obtain and maintain a Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC) card.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions. Work is primarily performed outdoors (possibly in hot, cold, or inclement weather) or indoors (possibly in a noisy or dusty environment). Frequent driving of a vehicle. Occasional to frequent walking and standing.
May require climbing ramp or ladder to board a vessel. Available on-call, as needed.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Must maintain P.O.S.T. physical standards, including mobility and physical strength and stamina to respond to emergency situations and apprehend suspects.