Sr. Technical Accounting ManagerMcClatchy
The Sr. Technical Accounting Manager is a key member of McClatchy’s finance organization that continues to focus on their digital transformation. This position will need to be not only a strong technical accountant, they will need to understand business strategy and help provide input on decisions made by management.
The ideal candidate is proficient in:
- Managing day-to-day accounting operations
- Researching complicated technical accounting issues
- SEC reporting
- Working effectively with the Management across the Company on various finance-related issues
- Being a self-starter and strategically-minded with a focus on being a strong business partner
As the Sr. Technical Accounting Manager, you will lead a team of 2 internal resources that manage the SEC reporting and Tax areas within the Company.
Location: The preferred location is our Sacramento, CA office, however, we may be open to this position being located in our Raleigh, NC office.
- Researches and advises on new accounting pronouncements, their financial and operational impact, and related disclosures, including general GAAP, revenue, leases, and consolidations.
- Writes technical documents, such as white papers, accounting position papers, memos or new policies and procedures.
- Leads implementation projects related to compliance with new standards such as leasing, revenue recognition, etc.
- Effectively mentors and develops their experienced staff.
- Technically proficient in all areas of accounting including pension, investments, debt and related areas, taxes, etc.
- Provides technical accounting support to company-wide business and finance leaders.
- Partners with other corporate departments and provides guidance on contract structuring in order to realize the most favorable accounting and business outcomes.
- Ensures the company complies with applicable accounting standards by serving as a key US GAAP expert and knowledge sharing. This will include training both finance professionals and other business partners regarding accounting changes.
- Works closely with external and internal audit teams with regards to all aspects of accounting policies, technical accounting determinations and ensuring there is proper support for all conclusions.
- Reviews all SEC-related disclosures and checklists to ensure compliance with SEC and U.S. GAAP requirements.
- Develops, implements, and ensures compliance with financial and accounting policies and procedures. Collaborates with team members to establish policies that are comprehensive, clear, and align with company or regulatory guidelines. Directs the implementation of new and revised policies and guidelines as well as the adherence to the Company’s Control structure.
- Minimum 6 years’ experience, Big 4 Accounting Firm and Media and/or Technology company experience preferred
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting
- CPA certification or a sitting candidate
- Ability to effectively work independently and with non-finance team members
- Knowledgeable of complex accounting rules and ability to apply them in a digital environment
- Excellent computer skills
- Exceptional complex problem-solving skills and the ability to analyze complex transactions to identify related business and accounting implications
- The ability to write technical accounting position and policy documents
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Must have a superior sense of ethics
- Excellent critical thinking and analytical skills
- Must have strong organizational skills and be an effective time manager