Research Technician I
Florida International University is Miami’s public research university, focused on student success. According to U.S. News and World Report, FIU has 42 top-50 rankings in the nation among public universities. FIU is a top U.S. research university (R1), with more than $200 million in annual expenditures. FIU ranks 15th in the nation among public universities for patent production, which drives innovation, and is one of the institutions that helps make Florida the top state for higher education. The Next Horizon fundraising campaign is furthering FIU’s commitment to providing students Worlds Ahead opportunities. Today, FIU has two campuses and multiple centers, and supports artistic and cultural engagement through its three museums: Patricia & Phillip Frost Art Museum, the Wolfsonian-FIU, and the Jewish Museum of Florida-FIU. FIU is a member of Conference USA, with more than 400 student-athletes participating in 18 sports. The university has awarded more than 330,000 degrees to many leaders in South Florida and beyond. For more information about FIU, visit www.fiu.edu.
The Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine is currently seeking a Research Technician I to join our team of professionals.
- Under the direct supervision of the Principal Investigator (PI) or Postdoctoral Associate, conducts minor mouse surgical procedures and analysis of mouse tissues.
- Assist with mouse breeding and husbandry and assist with planning/performance of mouse models of inflammation and cancer metastasis.
- Conducts basic and/or complex procedures with the use of basic biochemical methods: Tissue culture, in vitro cell adhesion/migration assays, flow cytometry, real-time polymerase chain reaction (RT-qPCR), Western blotting, SDS-PAGE, Immunoprecipitation, and protein electrophoresis.
- Assist in the inventory and ordering of general laboratory supplies.
- Assist in regulatory Institutional Review Board (IRB)/ Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC)/safety compliance of the laboratory and its members related to institutional guidelines.
- Records and evaluates data and presents results of research findings.
- Assist with laboratory training of new students, postdoctoral fellows, and collaborating scientists in cell culture and biochemical methods.
- Provides assistance with the supervision of part-time lab assistants.
- Works with minors and/or vulnerable persons who are research participants and/or volunteering in the laboratories.
- Performs related duties as required or as directed. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
- Performs essential duties in any emergencies such as hurricanes, public health emergencies, and/or any other university emergency closing. The employee is expected to be available to report to work as needed during university emergency closing with appropriate notification of a department administrator.
Bachelor's degree required.
Previous animal research experience.
Previous experience conducting laboratory research experiments.
$40,000 - $42,000
To apply, please visit us on-line at https://hr.fiu.edu/careers/, click on “Prospective Employees” or “Current Employees” and search for job opening ID 526811.
FIU is a member of the State University System of Florida and an Equal Opportunity, Equal Access Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.