Lab Manager II
Florida International University is a top public university that drives real talent and innovation in Miami and globally. Very high research (R1) activity and high social mobility come together at FIU to uplift and accelerate learner success in a global city by focusing in the areas of environment, health, innovation, and justice. Today, FIU has two campuses and multiple centers. FIU serves a diverse student body of more than 56,000 and 290,000 Panther alumni. U.S. News and World Report places dozens of FIU programs among the best in the nation, including international business at No. 2. Washington Monthly Magazine ranks FIU among the top 20 public universities contributing to the public good.
The Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine is currently seeking a Lab Manager II to join our team of professionals.
- Provides planning, preparation and execution of simulation-based training and education events, including but not limited to set up, break-down, maintenance, and operation of simulation equipment and supplies such as task trainers, human patient simulators, simulated patients, moulage, simulation technologies/video/audio and Educational Management Solutions (EMS) sessions; Performs all necessary tests to verify systems are working appropriately.
- Demonstrates technical aspects of operating simulators to faculty members and supporting staff. Ensures that staff and other users are knowledgeable in the use of the requested simulation system equipment and software.
- Serves as the subject matter expert for the Educational Management Solutions (EMS) system that centralizes simulation center scheduling, inventory, assessment tools and collection of assessment data. Assists the simulation team in setting up new learners in the EMS system.
- Works with the leadership team to report Objective Structured Clinical Examination (OSCE) data collected within the EMS system. Collects data to support research and projects as appropriate. Assist with other special projects or initiatives as needed.
- Maintains all simulation equipment and supplies inventory and develops control procedures to monitor supply levels, allocate costs accurately, and ensure supplies are on hand when needed. Monitors equipment safety and performance testing. Tracks, monitors and provide reports of equipment, supplies and space usage.
- Provides orientation to students, residents and other professionals on the simulation center and activities conducted within the center. Collaborates on the development and design of simulation scenarios for teaching and assessment involving simulation equipment/technology.
- Develops technical proficiency with all aspects of operation, maintenance, support, and trouble shooting. Maintain proficiency in existing and emerging technologies, including basic theory, design and implementation.
- Monitors equipment safety and performance testing. Tracks equipment, supplies and space usage.
- Works with manufacturers and/or vendors to correct equipment deficiencies in order to minimize down time. Liaises with vendors for escalated troubleshooting efforts and part(s) replacements as needed. Develops relationships with medical equipment vendors to gain their support to supply goods and services in support of medical training.
- Creates proposals and recommends equipment for simulator upgrades; assists in the purchasing of new equipment and supplies.
- Liaises with the Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine Information Technology team on escalated technical problems.
- Travels between campuses and/or affiliated sites as needed.
- Performs essential duties in any emergencies such as hurricanes, public health emergencies, and/or any other university emergency closing. The employee is expected to be available to report to work as needed during university emergency closing with appropriate notification of a department administrator.
- Performs related duties as required or as directed. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
- Liaises with Herbert Wertheim Human Resources (HWCOM HR) team regarding the recruitment process of all Simulation Technicians. Onboards, schedules, trains and supervises all simulation Technicians.
- Experience with Audio Visual Systems (A/V), Learning Management System (LMS) and multimedia equipment, preferably in an academic environment.
- Experience with the operational support and troubleshooting of simulators in medical education.
- Ability to learn and master EMS software.
- Experience with inventory processes and maintenance of supplies/equipment.
- Certified Healthcare Simulation Educator Certification (CHSO) preferred or ability to obtain certification within one year of hire.
- Excellent analytical and troubleshooting skills.
- Ability to document existing and new processes.
HOW TO APPLY
For more information or to apply, please visit us on-line at http://careers.fiu.edu and reference job opening ID JOBID: 529486.
FIU is a member of the State University System of Florida and an Equal Opportunity, Equal Access, Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.