Public Health ManagerCounty of Calaveras
PUBLIC HEALTH MANAGER
Calaveras County's Health and Human Services Agency is seeking an experienced public health administrator.
For job flyer and application requirements, please visit: HumanResources.co.calaveras.ca.us
SALARY: $85,488 - $103,916.80/yr.
County of Calaveras is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Under general direction of the Health & Human Services Agency Director, plans, organizes and administers programs and services of the Public Health Department to promote physical and emotional health of individuals and communities through the prevention of disease, injury, disability, and promotion of healthful living conditions.
This is a single position management class with responsibility for management of program operations and supervision of personnel in the Public Health Department within the Health & Human Services Agency. This position may act as Agency Director in the Director’s absence. This class is distinguished from the next higher level of Health & Human Services Agency Deputy Director, which is an executive management classification with broader responsibilities for policy, personnel and budgets for the County Behavioral Health Services and Public Health Departments.
EXAMPLE OF DUTIES
- Plan, organize, direct and evaluate public health programs in the areas of acute communicable and chronic disease prevention and control; maternal, child, and adolescent health, California Children’s Services; immunizations; tobacco control; senior services; clinical services; community health promotion; and emergency preparedness and response.
- Acts as chief advisor to the Agency Director, Deputy Director and County Health Officer concerning public health issues and programs
- Establishes standards of professional public health practice.
- Assures compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
- Supervises subordinate management, nursing, health education and other professional and paraprofessional staff as well as clerical and administrative staff; participates in the hiring of new personnel; recommends disciplinary action.
- Justifies fund requests and staff allocations; oversees development and submission of grant applications, oversees the administration of grants, including the timely submission of required program progress and financial reports.
- Reviews, prepares and submits a variety of administrative, fiscal and technical reports.
- Receives and responds to inquiries, concerns or complaints regarding service delivery.
- Defines, analyzes and evaluates problems and issues and proposes alternative solutions, develops recommendations and directs the implementation of solutions.
- Analyses and evaluates program performance and service objectives.
- Represents the Public Health Department in a variety of forums; liaison with other local agencies and government agencies.
- Being a team player as the leader in Public Health, building and maintaining teamwork within Health & Human Service Agency and with other County Departments.
- Principles and practices of public health including communicable disease prevention and control, preventive medicine, epidemiology, public health education, maternal and child health, gerontology, psychological and sociological issues related to the delivery of public health services, health data analysis, and compliance with federal, state and local laws governing public health.
- Organizational and management practices as applied to the analysis, planning, implementation and evaluation of programs, policies and operational needs.
- Principles and practices of supervision, training and performance evaluation.
- Principles and practices of record-keeping and reporting.
- Communication and conflict resolution.
- Principles, techniques, and practices of public health administration.
- Budget development and expenditure control.
- Principles and practices of disaster and emergency preparedness and response.
- Techniques for making public presentations.
- Grant preparation and administration.
- Understand, interpret and apply pertinent laws, codes and regulations.
- Analyze problems, identify alternative solutions, project consequences of proposed actions and implement recommendations in support of goals.
- Select, supervise, train and evaluate staff.
- Develop and implement work plans in response to funding requirements.
- Prepare and administer a budget.
- Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Prepare comprehensive and complex technical reports.
- Establish and execute Departmental policies and procedures
- Develop, organize, analyze, and interpret statistical data.
- Develop and maintain effective public relations efforts.
- Work with clients from diverse cultures, who have varying health needs.
- Use initiative and sound independent judgment within general policy guidelines.
- Organize own work, set priorities and meet critical time deadlines.
Education, Training and Experience:
Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with a major course work in Public Health, Health Administration or a closely related field.
Five years of progressively responsible experience in a public health department, with a minimum of three years managing public health programs.
Licenses, Certificates, or Registrations:
Possession of a valid California driver’s license.
APPLICATION AND SELECTION PROCESS
Interested individuals must submit the following:
Calaveras County application
Application materials will be reviewed to evaluate the specific qualifications of each applicant and determine which applicants will continue in the screening process. Incomplete application information will result in the candidate being screened out of the process. Those candidates identified as having qualifications best suited for the position will be invited to participate in the interview process.