Senior Plan Checker
CITY OF STOCKTON Stockton, CA Full-time Other
Posted on December 22, 2020
SENIOR PLAN CHECKER
Salary: $6,288.48 - $8,073.32 Monthly
TENTATIVE EXAMINATION DATE: TBD (Candidates must appear in person for the examination)
“The City of Stockton, Human Resources, will be following COVID-19 guidelines to ensure the safety of our attendees and staff. We will be enforcing social distancing throughout the examination process. If you are sick or having any symptoms, please do not attend the examination.”
The Current vacancy exists in the Community Development Department. The Senior Plan Checker reports directly to the Deputy Building Official and will oversee the front counter plan intake process, reviews plan submittals for intake completeness, and review plans for approval. Incumbents will attend pre-submittal meetings, as well as, discuss and track plan review timelines with all departments. The incumbent will work a 9/80 schedule: 7:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday; 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Fridays, with every other Friday off.
Incumbents in this position are included in the Civil Service system, in a "for-cause" employment status, and are represented by the Stockton City Employees' Association (Classified/Represented).
This recruitment is being conducted as an Open/Promotional recruitment. Current full-time City of Stockton employees may apply for this position as a promotional opportunity and successful candidates will be placed on a promotional list. All other candidates may apply for this position as an open competitive opportunity and successful candidates will be placed on an open list. The appointing authority will have the option of requesting names from the promotional list or a combination of both. These lists may be used to fill future vacancies.
Prior to appointment, eligible candidates may be required to submit to and successfully pass a background investigation, which will include fingerprinting.
Under general supervision, performs skilled work involving the review and examination of building construction, improvement and repair plans and specifications for compliance with applicable building and health and safety codes and regulations; performs related work as assigned.
Senior Plan Checker is part of a deep class in which incumbents may be assigned to any level, provided that they possess the required education, certification, and experience and successfully demonstrate proficiency which meets the qualifications for the class to which they are to be assigned. This deep class series is distinguished from Supervising Plan Checker/Structural Engineer in that the latter is a professional engineer or licensed architect and has first-line supervisory responsibility for the plan checking function.
This is the advanced specialist class in the Plan Checker series, with incumbents performing plan checking on more complex projects including major commercial and industrial developments. Assignments are varied and allow for the exercise of considerable judgment and independence in the performance of plan check work.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES (Illustrative Only)
- Reviews and examines construction documents for residential, commercial and industrial building construction and alterations; ensures that plans, structural calculations and specifications comply with building and related codes and regulations.
- Confers with homeowners, builders, engineers and architects to give information and interpret building codes and regulations; recommends necessary changes to obtain compliance with applicable codes and regulations.
- Reviews corrected plans for conformity with requirements; calculates fees to be assessed for projects and submits documentation for permit issuance, may issue building permits.
- Maintains records of assigned permit applications, incoming plans, applications processed, and permits issued.
- Receives residential and commercial permit applications and plans and routes to appropriate divisions and/or departments; enters plan check data into computer database; updates and generates required printed reports.
- Makes on-site construction inspections to confirm that construction complies with approved plans and specifications.
- Initiates appropriate action to enforce code compliance.
- Prepares correspondence to architects, engineers and contractors relating to the correction of plans and engineering detail.
- Advises building inspectors on structural and other building related problems arising in the field during construction.
- Coordinates construction planning documents review and processing with other City departments.
- Monitors changes and new legislation pertaining to assigned work; investigates new materials and substitute materials and new methods of structural design and recommends appropriate changes in the building codes and regulations.
- Participates in setting work priorities, coordinating and scheduling own assignments and establishing goals and objectives for assigned activity.
Possession of an Associate of Arts degree in pre-engineering, construction technology or a closely related field AND four (4) years of experience (two (2) years of experience in checking a variety of building plans and drawings at a level equivalent to the City of Stockton Plan Checker I AND two (2) years of experience in a position equivalent to the City of Stockton Plan Checker II, in which incumbent has demonstrated competence in reviewing a variety of complex building and life safety systems.)
- Must possess a valid California driver's license.
- Must possess certification from the International Conference of Building Officials (I.C.B.O.) as a Certified Plans Examiner within two (2) years of appointment as a condition of continued employment. (California Health and Safety Code, 18949.28)
- Techniques, materials and practices in the structural, plumbing and electrical construction fields;
- Residential, commercial and industrial construction materials, methods and equipment;
- Applicable codes and ordinances governing housing and building construction, rehabilitation, alteration, use and occupancy; and
- Appropriate safety and fire prevention construction and building methods.
- Performing detailed analysis and examination of building and construction designs, specifications and plans;
- Applying basic engineering and architectural principles and techniques to the solution of complex residential, commercial and industrial construction problems and objectives;
- Organizing work, setting priorities and exercising sound, independent judgment with established guidelines;
- Dealing tactfully and effectively with City staff, other agencies, homeowners, builders, engineering firms, contractors, developers, manufacturers and others;
- Preparing clear, concise and accurate reports, correspondence and other written materials; and
- Analyzing and evaluating complex building plans, data and reports and reaching sound conclusions.