AccountantCity of Rancho Cordova
Salary: $68,576.40 - $83,717.64 Annually
The City of Rancho Cordova is looking for a dynamic and responsive individual to be a part of the Administrative Services team who is passionate and committed to public service, has a collaborative approach to service delivery, and provides exceptional customer service.
The City team is committed to the vision of making Rancho Cordova a caring and vibrant community that values diversity, partnerships, opportunity and fun. Our team works each day, knowing what they do makes a difference in the lives of residents and businesses in Rancho Cordova. We hope you will consider joining our team.
NOTE: Candidates should apply on-line for optimal consideration before the first review of applications which will take place by Friday, October 6, 2017. To submit an online application, please visit http://www.cityofranchocordova.org/departments/human-resources/join-our-team
This position performs professional accounting work by recording and reporting financial transactions including payroll, accounts payable, performing budgetary control, reviewing fiscal records, preparing financial reports and statements, and conducting audit reviews, analysis and annual work papers.
ESSENTIAL JOB RESULTS: Most incumbents perform the duties to create the following performance results. Not all duties and performance results listed are necessarily performed by each individual. Other related duties and performance results may be assigned.
- Performs monthly cash reconciliation; reconciles bank accounts;identifies and resolves bank adjustments and discrepancies with City departments and the bank.
- Performs analytical review of financial transactions; substantiates compilation and analytical review with supporting work papers.
- Manages City grant awards by reading and understanding technical master agreements and grant contracts; conducts ongoing reconciliation of grant revenues and expenditures and ensures the proper billing, collection, and spending of grant funds and timely submittal of grant reporting documents.
- Assists in budget preparation, proper expenditure coding, document preparation, and other accounting activities; monitors budget for various City departments and projects.
- Develops and documents accounting procedures; reviews and determines impact of new accounting and auditing standards; assists with implementation; incorporates changes in financial reporting standards into individual fund and Comprehensive Annual Financial Report templates; communicates changes in standards and impact of changes to other team members.
- Provides technical support to other City staff in the operation of the City's financial information systems, including payroll systems. Develops user guides and work flows to enhance the use of information systems.
- May administer and oversee the payroll and accounts payable function for the City by performing analytical review of activity; monitoring, evaluating, and providing professional guidance to staff engaged in activities. Coordinates payroll activities with departments and oversees the updating payroll of records including the collection, calculation, entering of data, and auditing of time sheets. May review the weekly accounts payable check run.
- May supervise, assign, monitor, evaluate, and provide professional and technical guidance to staff engaged in operation, maintenance, and control of relevant activities.
- Provides exceptional customer service to those contacted in the course of work.
- Other related duties may also be performed; not all duties listed are necessarily performed by each individual holding this classification.
- Generally accepted accounting and auditing principles and practices.
- PC hardware and software capabilities and accounting applications.
- Principles of financial administration, including budgeting, financial reporting, data processing and purchasing.
- Modern office practices, procedures, methods, and equipment.
- Principles of supervision, training, and performance evaluation.
- Basic accounting and auditing concepts.
- Use of computers, computer applications, and software, and preparation of complex spreadsheets and Word documents.
- Identification and implementation of adequate internal controls.
- Examine and verify financial documents and reports.
- Prepare a variety of financial statements, reports, and analysis.
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Train and evaluate technical and clerical personnel.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
LICENSURE OR CERTIFICATION: Some positions may require possession of a current valid California Class C driver's license and a satisfactory driving record as determined by the City. Possession of a current valid license as a Certified Public Accountant is highly desirable.
Equivalent to completion of a Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in accounting, finance, economics or a related field.
Two (2) years of professional accounting and/or finance experience.
he City of Rancho Cordova complies with the letter and spirit of the Equal Employment Opportunity and Americans with Disabilities laws in its employment process. Please advise the Human Resources Department of any reasonable accommodation you need in order to participate in the City’s application process.