Accounting Clerk 3
Accounting Clerk 3 – Procurement (Job 10412)
Working under general direction, serve in the capacity of accounting clerk in Accounts Payable in a manner that insures complete and accurate accounting of all transactions and facilitates the smooth operation of administrative functions. Perform complex and diverse bookkeeping and accounting duties as they relate to the preparation of reports, statements, invoices or other financial records.
- Working closely with buyer and agent service representatives, validate invoices, purchase orders, and payables information to ensure accuracy of all data including unit pricing, pricing extension, freight charges, denial of sales tax, etc. and prepare vendor invoices for processing utilizing PeopleSoft and OnBase by Hyland systems. Research any incorrect or missing information in order to take action and resolve, avoiding errant or duplicate payments. Perform related daily posting to general ledger, miscellaneous billings, and reconciliation of accounts. (43%)
- Provide a high level of customer-focused and friendly service to university constituents while maintaining highly confidential information on staff, students, and budgets. Plan for peak volume periods and make adjustments to ensure continued high level of customer service. (21%)
- Process vendor payment requests for payment in a timely manner using PeopleSoft Financials. Research any incorrect or missing information in order to take action and resolve. (10%)
- Research and provide recommendations to develop internal controls, identify off-standard situations and recommend or take corrective action. Compile information for and assist with reporting and reconciliation of accounts as directed in an outstanding timely manner. Provide tax-exempt information to vendors as needed. (6%)
- Research vendor invoices with incorrect or missing information and determine appropriate action(s) to resolve. Audit invoices to ensure accuracy of all information including unit pricing, pricing extension, freight charges, denial of sales tax, etc. (6%)
- Establish and maintain effective communication within the department, as well as, university-wide, and with outside agencies. (6%)
- Compile information for and assist with reporting as directed. Research and provide recommendations to develop internal controls, identify off-standard situations and recommend or take corrective action. (6%)
- Maintain effective communication and cross-train within the department to serve as backup to others when assigned. (1%)
- Perform other duties as assigned. (1%)
Department: Continuous contact with department staff to coordinate process timing and workload.
University: Continuous contact with university administration, faculty, and staff to provide guidance, training, and other information.
External: Moderate contact with university vendors to exchange information
Students: Occasional contact with students to exchange information.
Experience: 2 to 3 years accounting experience required. Prior accounts payable experience preferred.
Education: High school education required, Associate’s degree or better in accounting desirable.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and interpersonal skills; must demonstrate the ability to effectively and professionally communicate and work with various individuals within the department, university, and with individuals outside the university.
- Ability to use tact and diplomacy, and an ability to work with confidential matters.
- Strong organization skills; ability to multi-task, prioritize and give attention to detail in order to complete tasks and meet deadlines.
- Must demonstrate flexibility and ability to work under pressure, must be able and willing to conform to shifting priorities, demands and timelines.
- Effective problem solving skills, sound judgment and good decision-making.
- Proven ability to work in a fast-paced, changing environment; and have a strong customer service focus.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Google Docs, and Email
- Working experience with, or the ability to learn how to use, PeopleSoft and OnBase
- Ability to meet consistent attendance.
- Ability to interact with colleagues, supervisors, and customers face to face.
General office environment. Employee will need to bend, stoop, squat, push, pull, and reach, and will have to lift objects up to 25 lbs. Employee will have to perform repetitive motion using computer mouse and keyboard to type. The employee may have to travel to various locations on campus for appointments.
In employment, as in education, Case Western Reserve University is committed to Equal Opportunity and Diversity. Women, veterans, members of underrepresented minority groups, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Case Western Reserve University provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. Applicants requiring a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process should contact the Office of Equity at 216-368-3066 to request a reasonable accommodation. Determinations as to granting reasonable accommodations for any applicant will be made on a case-by-case basis.
Case Western Reserve University has implemented a COVID Vaccination policy requiring evidence of COVID-19 vaccination for all students, faculty and staff with an on-campus presence. Religious and medical exemptions may be provided in accordance with applicable federal and state laws. For more information go to: https://case.edu/equity/covid-19-accommodations. Applicants may contact the Office of Equity at 216-368-3066 /firstname.lastname@example.org for information regarding religious or medical exemptions as an accommodation.
Please visit our website