AccountantCalifornia State PTA
The Accountant performs and professional and administrative work under the day-to-day supervision of the Accounting Manager. This position follows all established procedures and is responsible for general accounting work, including valuation of inventory and adjustments, processing all accounts receivables, sales and publications, scholarships and grants, processing payroll and 401k, all reconciliations and sales tax and lobbying reports, and other functions as assigned. The position interacts with staff and assists board members upon request.
To apply, please email a cover letter and resume to California State PTA by clicking the "Apply Now" button by July 13, 2018. No phone calls please.
This position is classified on the non-exempt salary schedule as an Accountant II.
$46,800 to $56,160
- Processes and reconciles payroll and 401K and forwards to Accounting Manager for review. Processes payroll liability checks for all benefits.
- Processes sales invoices for all materials, publications and Honorary Service Awards when necessary. Forwards processed invoices to the Accounting Manager for review. Answers incoming calls, coordinates sales requests, and follows up on delinquent payments.
- Prepares monthly bank and investment reconciliations. Provides monthly Treasurer’s report.
- Reviews accounts payable vouchers, reconciles reports for membership dues, and provides reconciled accounts payable aging report for Accounting Manager’s review.
- Assists Accounting Manager in preparing all General and Scholarships and Grants Budget to Actual reports and assists with tracking and updating grant reports as needed.
- Processes all accounts receivables related to membership, insurance, workers compensation, sponsorships and any other accounts receivable daily. Prepares and analyzes aging of accounts receivable and prepares weekly deposits and reporting of cash receipts.
- Reconciles received inventory with order invoices and statements, tracks inventory sold, and fills back orders. Print reports on availability of inventory on a monthly basis. Conducts quarterly inventory counts and adjusts accordingly. Makes adjustments to year-end closing for inventory losses based on the first in first out method, as directed by Accounting Manager. Coordinates inventory count with merchandise vendor quarterly.
- Prepares the reconciliations of prepaid accounts, including advances, SWABIZ and insurance.
- Processes, tracks and analyzes the workers compensation reports submitted from all units, councils and districts. Annually assists with the workers compensation audits.
- Enters data from website for convention registrations, district fees and exhibits; and reconciles to statements.
- Processes and assists the board with scholarships and grants. This includes, creating spreadsheets, copying, and distribution of awarded scholarships and grants award winners.
- Prepares quarterly Sales Tax and Lobbying reports.
- Assists in preparation of the fiscal year-end audit and Form 990 tax information.
- Utilizes the QuickBooks Accounting Software, FileMaker database system, Excel database and other software programs.
- Maintains confidentiality and follows all established accounting department procedures.
- Performs other duties as assigned, which may include backup of phones.
Attends meetings as requested.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Business Management/Administration with a concentration in Accounting and a minimum of 1-3 years of accounting experience, preferably in the not-for-profit industry.
- Highly organized and able to manage a large number of priorities and deadlines at one time.
- Detail oriented.
- Self-starter and highly motivated.
- Highly proficient using Microsoft Excel
- Proficient using other Microsoft Office products including Word and Outlook.
- QuickBooks experience a plus.
- Team player who thrives in a busy environment.
Working Conditions/Physical Demands
- May be required to attend annual convention
- Typically may sit for extended periods of time
- Regularly lifts, carries and/or moves objects weighing up to 25 pounds
- Operates a computer keyboard.
Application Deadline and Process
California State PTA is not‐for‐profit association with more than 750,000 members dedicated to positively impacting the lives of all children and families.