Director of LegislationCalifornia Housing Finance Agency
The Director of Legislation, reporting to the Executive Director and Chief Deputy Director, is responsible for all of CalHFA’s legislative activities. In addition, the incumbent is a part of CalHFA’s Senior Management Team, supervises the Assistant Director of Board Relations and Executive Communications, and manages the Legislative Division, which entails, but is not limited to: acting in an expert capacity regarding legislation affecting housing financing; testifying, on behalf of the agency and/or CalHFA’s Executive Director, before various federal and state legislative bodies, local government, stakeholder groups, etc.
The position is based in the Agency's headquarters in downtown Sacramento.
For more information and to apply, visit our website at: http://www.calhfa.ca.gov/about/employment/job-290.pdf
All interested applicants must submit a standard state application form (Std. 678, available at https://jobs.ca.gov/pdf/STD678.pdf ), resume, and a Statement of Qualifications (SOQ). The SOQ should be in narrative format, typed, no longer than four pages in length, and should respond to the following questions as well as describe how the candidate’s background and experience relate to and complement the duties of the position as well as the skills outlined in the “Position Description” and “Desirable Qualifications” section above. A resume does not replace the SOQ.
The salary range is: $8,333 – 12,500. Comprehensive benefits include California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS) retirement plan, medical, dental, and vision care insurance plans, tax deferred savings plans, and a $50,000 group term life insurance policy. Additional benefits include generous leave options.
In addition to evaluating each candidate's relative ability, as demonstrated by quality and breadth of experience related to the duties of the position, the following factors will be considered and will provide the basis for competitively evaluating each candidate:
1. Possess experience drafting and interpreting federal and/or state regulations.
2. Possess experience working with members of the Legislature, Congress, the Administration, and various public interest groups.
3. Possess experience staffing and tracking legislation, writing legislative analyses, and working with stakeholders.
4. Possess knowledge of the methods of formulating and analyzing policy and issues in a manner which achieves desired results and sustains legislative changes.
5. Possess the ability to think clearly, act quickly, and communicate effectively when dealing with the Legislature, Congress, and the Administration.
6. Ability to plan, organize and direct the legislative program for CalHFA.
7. Ability to identify legislative objectives, draft legislation and analyze legislation of concerns to CalHFA 8. Possess direct experience managing staff and/or leading a team of people.
9. Possess experience with single family and/or multifamily housing finance programs.
10. Possess an understanding of and experience working with key systems for bill tracking, legislative proposal review and comment processes, responding to the governor, etc.
Final File Date: Open until filled