We're Hiring for Executive Director of the Arcata Chamber of Commerce
Arcata Chamber of Commerce Executive Director
The Arcata Chamber of Commerce is seeking qualified candidates for the position of Executive Director. The Executive Director is a key representative and advocate for business owners and employers in a community. The Executive Director promotes and strengthens communities by building prosperity through a healthy economy and a strong business sector. The Executive Director is responsible to the Board of Directors to provide executive leadership to the Arcata Chamber of Commerce.
The Arcata Chamber is committed to fostering and celebrating diversity, equity and inclusion. We believe that diversity is the presence and celebration of differences that enrich our community. We believe that equity is the presence of and commitment to fair treatment, access and opportunity for all, where individuals are not disadvantaged because of their identities. We believe that inclusion is how we demonstrate our commitment to diversity and equity and ensures that individuals with different identities are valued, leveraged and welcomed within our community and that is demonstrated on our website and through our branding.
- Develop, plan, organize and oversee services and events for members.
- Be a liaison for the Chamber to businesses in the community promoting the benefits of Chamber membership.
- Oversee the Chambers social media and website featuring local business news and Chamber membership directory that is available to the public, potential new customers, and clients.
- Hold regular social events that offer members a chance to network and share information and ideas.
- Identify common needs among local business owners and arrange topical lectures, workshops and training seminars of benefit to the members.
- Oversee annual award programs that showcase businesses and business leaders.
- Assist existing businesses with growth opportunities, education and mentoring programs, including workforce development and mentorship with area educational institutions.
Community Outreach & Visitor Center
- Lead the business community's efforts to support and enhance our community.
- Public relations; meet with local area leaders regularly to collaborate with the business and public institutional communities, establish and maintain contacts with local media, represent the Chamber at community meetings and activities, develop community outreach strategy for Chamber events and activities. Welcome new businesses in the community.
- Oversee Chamber sponsorship of community events which may include holiday parades, heritage festivals, job and health fairs.
- Assist in development of partnerships between government and employers to help shape the success of the area workforce and economic development.
- Responsible for effective operations of the Visitor Center including, but not limited to; hiring, training, and supervising staff, internships, and volunteers.
- Focus on the business community's role in conserving local energy and water resources.
Financial Management & Personnel
- Responsible for management of Chamber of Commerce finances and preparation of monthly financial reports, in collaboration with Chamber of Commerce Assistant. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, filing tax forms, management of accounting software (Quickbooks, Chamber Master), budgets, reports, insurance documents.
- Work cooperatively with the Board of Directors to develop, and implement, the Chamber’s fundraising strategies and campaigns.
- Supervise Chamber staff, including hiring, coaching, performance reviews, supervision, terminations, and organizational development.
- Promote an excellent working environment through collaboration, continuous improvement and innovation.
Board of Directors
- The Executive Director, in cooperation with the Board of Directors, is responsible for managing a long-term strategic plan of the Chamber and responsible for defining annual goals for the upcoming year.
- Coordinate all Chamber Board meetings in collaboration with the Chair, and Executive Committee.
- Provide regular activity reports and updates to Board meetings.
Job Requirements and Salary
- More than 2 years of business and/or community leadership experience.
- Experience with budgets, finance, public relations, and/or strategic planning.
- Leadership and supervisory skills
- Local area knowledge and strong community connections are preferred.
- Full-time, schedule Monday - Friday 8am - 5pm.
- Qualification-based pay; minimum exempt salary $31/hour or $64,480/year, and 80 hours/year vacation accrued.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- Spanish speaking (bilingual)
- Public speaking
- Event organizing
- Strategic Planning
- Fundraising and/or grant writing experience
- Organizational leadership skills and/or working with Board of Directors
- Financials/Budgeting, QuickBooks experience.
The Arcata Chamber has served as a catalyst to support business entrepreneurship, collaboration and innovation while promoting a strong sense of community for 70 years.
Please submit a cover letter and resume/CV to SearchCommittee.ArcataChamber@gmail.com(link sends e-mail)
Reviews will begin June 30, 2022 and will continue until the position is filled.